In 2014, the Australian Building Codes Board introduced regulations demanding that anti-slip varnish be applied when sanding and coating timber stairs. These regulations – which are designed to improve safety and eliminate unnecessary risks – are applicable to the construction of new properties as well as the development of extensions and additions to existing properties.
Failing to apply anti-slip varnish to timber staircases can create a safety hazard where people are at risk of falling and injuring themselves. It’s therefore important for both residential and commercial properties to ensure anti-slip varnish is applied.
The Benefits of Anti-Slip Varnish
It goes without saying that a timber staircase can be perilous if anti-slip varnish has not been applied. Other benefits of anti-slip varnish include:
- Employees and visitors can feel at peace knowing that their environment is safe, which has the added benefit of improving productivity
- Ensures that owners, managers and employers are compliant with relevant Occupational Health and Safety regulations
- Helps people avoid unnecessary litigation at their workplace or public space by preventing otherwise avoidable injuries
- Residential properties can enjoy a guaranteed five years of non-slip surfaces
- Commercial properties can enjoy a guaranteed two years of non-slip surfaces
Anti-slip varnish also offers a number of aesthetic benefits. While designed to provide sufficient grip to the surface and prevent accidents, it can also provide the perfect shine and lustre to existing surfaces. It is also completely non-damaging, working well on a variety of surfaces to enhance natural beauty.
Contact Quicksand Flooring Today
It’s recommended that you avoid buying and applying anti-slip varnish yourself. A team of flooring specialists such as those at Quicksand Flooring can apply the varnish to timber staircases using the proper techniques, helping to maximise its durability and longevity.
If you require anti-slip varnish for staircases, you can rely on the experts at Quicksand Flooring. We take safety very seriously, which is why we offer solutions that minimise the risk of slips, falls and other accidents occurring. Contact us today to learn more.